The bridesmaid
So, my best friend from uni got married in September 2017, and I was one of her bridesmaids. I was also, at the time, nearly 6 months pregnant.
When she
asked us to be bridesmaids, back in April, I wasn’t pregnant. Well actually I
was, but I didn’t know it at the time. Anyway, we started to have some dress
fittings early in the spring. My friend is posh and rich, to say the least –
and we all had dresses custom designed and made to match the wedding dress
itself.
The dress
designer was brilliant. When she found out I was pregnant, and due to be quite
large by the time the big day came, she said ‘ok we’ll just have to figure out
how to make that work’. (My friend was adamant I must still be a bridesmaid!)
So I had a bunch
of extra fittings, and as I got bigger the dressmaker figured out a load of modifications,
extra panels and straps and bits of elastic to hold everything in place. On the
morning of the wedding itself she was there to help us all get dressed, with a team
of assistants, and yet more modifications were needed because I was even bigger
than expected. More bits of elastic, and various bits cut and pinned into place
once it was on.
But despite
the faff, it worked and it looked fabulous. We walked up the aisle behind my
friend, I didn’t fall over, everything was lovely.
After the
ceremony there was that long lull when everyone stands around and gets drunk, except
of course I couldn’t get drunk, so I just chatted awkwardly to a bunch of
people. A nice guy offered to being me out a chair… I didn’t need one but I was
grateful for the offer.
When we
finally sat down for dinner, the same nice guy was sitting next to me. He was somebody’s
brother on the grooms side, friendly and nice looking. He paid attention to me
though dinner and laughed at my jokes, and if he had an ulterior motive based
on wanting to see what was under my bridesmaid dress, well, I didn’t object to
that.
He went off
to dance after dinner, but then came back and persuaded me onto the dance floor
with him, where I was a bit of a liability… like a dumper truck in a classic
car garage. But it was fun and we laughed and danced until I needed to cool
down (it was a hot day), and I kinda just reached for his hand as I left the
room, and led him outside.
We sat on a
bench in the garden. He was tipsy, and though I was sober it was an easy
progression from sitting and chatting to sitting and snogging. He was a good
kisser, and didn’t seem to mind how sweaty I was after all the dancing.
Because I
was a bridesmaid I had a room in the same hotel as the wedding itself. It was a
big old country-house affair, with lots of confusing staircases and corridors.
Not wanting
to waste any time (it was only about 9pm), I led him round to the hotel
entrance and up to my room.
The sex was
nice – very nice actually. One-night stands are often a bit disappointing, but this
one was lovely and everything clicked. We had an amusing moment when we
realised neither of us had any condoms.
“Do you want
me to go and find one?” he asked.
“From where?”
I said. “Anyway, it’s not like I’m going to get any more pregnant than I
already am. I’m happy without if you are…”
And so we
went without.
Afterwards
we thought we’d better get back to the party before anyone missed us and started
asking questions. And that’s where the trouble began.
Because it
turns out, when a dress has been made and modified and custom fitted by a professional
dressmaker, it can be quite tricky to get back on. And a slightly tipsy groomsman,
along with a heavily pregnant tomboy, do NOT possess the skills to do it.
Having
removed it in a hurry, with other things on our minds, we were now faced with a
cats-cradle of satin and straps, elastic and safety pins and not the slightest
clue how to get the thing back onto me.
“Shall I
get someone?” he said, after we’d been fighting with it for 10 minutes.
“Like who? Trinny
and Susannah? Everyone is shitfaced down there… they’re going to be no help…”
After
literally 20 minutes of faffing and fighting with it, we finally got me into a
state where I looked roughly like the bridesmaid who had started the day, albeit
rather more disheveled. More just-fucked that just dressed, but I figured it
would do.
We went
back down to the party where, as expected, everyone was too drunk to notice we’d
even been gone.
I saw the
guy at breakfast the next day, and he offered to swap numbers, but I turned him
down. With a hug, I said – truthfully – that my life was too complex for any
further entanglements. He was a nice guy though. A couple of years later I saw
him again at a summer BBQ at my friend’s house. He was there with a girlfriend,
and I was there with Ela. We didn’t speak, but we smiled and raised glasses
across the room and I wondered… is he remembering the sex, or the crazy battle
with the dress. Or maybe he didn’t remember me at all!
Comments
Post a Comment